LITTLE HOPE OF 2024 UPTURN IN BOX SHIPPING TRADES, SAYS YANG MING

Yang Ming’s chief executive Peter Su said in a press conference yesterday that the third quarter peak season this year was “disappointing” and the carrier has no expectations that 2024 will be any better.

 

Yang Ming© Yali Shi_25986493

© Yali Shi

Mr Su said that the economies in China, US and Europe remain bearish, which continues to affect consumer spending.

 

In Q2 23, Yang Ming incurred a $4.27m net loss, compared with a net profit of $1.93bn in Q2 22.

 

When asked about capacity adjustments, Mr Su replied that Yang Ming is studying how the company’s service routes can be adjusted.

 

“The performance of each route in H1 23 was mixed,” he said.

 

“The transpacific rates corrected faster in the first half of the year, but they also rebounded in Q3 23. China’s pre-National Day holiday shipments were below expectations, and Q3 23 supply and demand in Asia were imbalanced.

 

“We’re not optimistic about the traditional off-season in Europe and the US in Q4 23. Only by observing the supply and demand trend can we adjust our routes. There are now 11 ships deployed on a route, when previously, there were 10 vessels on a route,” he explained, alluding to the increasing use of slow steaming to soak up extra vessel capacity.

 

He pointed out that Q3 cargo volumes were higher than in H1 23, but downward pressure on freight rates persists because of the weak US and European economies.

 

“Even intra-Asia rates are falling because China’s economy is weak, so the market needs further monitoring,” he added.

 

In January, Yang Ming ordered five 15,000 teu ships at Hyundai Heavy Industries and these would be delivered in 2026, and added that the carrier’s capacity would remain stable until then.

 

“We won’t be having any newbuilding deliveries until then, and there are no plans to retire old ships.

 

“However, according to industry observations, if there is a shortage of labour and raw materials, the overall timing of newbuilding deliveries will be delayed, and the scrapping of old ships will be accelerated,” he said.

 

Source: theloadstar.com by Martina Li 


Related News

PANDEMIC-DRIVEN SHIPPING SURGE HAS COME TO AN END, NATIONAL RETAIL FEDERATION SAYS
PANDEMIC-DRIVEN SHIPPING SURGE HAS COME TO AN END, NATIONAL RETAIL FEDERATION SAYS

1046 Views

Container shipping’s pandemic-driven surge has finally come to end as imports through the United States’ major container ports falls below the 2 million TEUs mark, the National Retail Federation said Monday in its monthly global port tracker report.

Triple acquisition takes MSC buying spree to 250 ships
Triple acquisition takes MSC buying spree to 250 ships

1208 Views

The historic secondhand vessel spree Mediterranean Shipping Co (MSC) embarked upon in August 2020 has now hit the 250-ship mark with news of three more acquisitions.

Vietnam wants to double inland container handling
Vietnam wants to double inland container handling

1466 Views

Vietnam’s government is considering investing up to US$800 million to add more inland container depots (ICDs) in the country by 2030.


Comment
  • Your review
main.add_cart_success